We are looking for a full-time researcher for European Youth Studies.
Researcher for European Youth Studies and Democracy (m/f/x)
Full-Time: 38,5 Hours / Week
Application Deadline: 5 December 2021
Start of Employment: 10 January 2022
The FES Regional Office for International Cooperation, based in Vienna, is seeking a Researcher for European Youth Studies and Democracy starting 10 January 2022.
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) is an independent and non-profit organisation committed to the ideas and fundamental values of social democracy and the labour movement. The thematic office "Democracy of the Future" of the FES Regional Office for International Cooperation, based in Vienna, is dedicated to understand how democracy can be made sustainable in the participating countries of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The FES office network in the OSCE region makes it possible to conduct an inclusive dialogue on the future of our political system in the entire region.
The FES has been conducting an international youth research project in Central and Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia for several years. The central aim of the studies is to identify, describe and analyse the attitudes and behaviour patterns of young people in today's society. The survey questions covered a wide range of topics, including young people's experiences and aspirations in different areas of life such as education, employment, political participation, family relationships, leisure time and use of information and communication technology, but also their values, attitudes and beliefs. The results are presented in national and regional studies and accompanying brief analyses published in English and the respective national languages.
The advertised position includes the coordination and further development of European FES Youth Studies and other tasks on future issues of democracy: analysing trends, developing new concepts with other institutions and think tanks, and discussing these with political decision-makers and experts and representatives of society.
- Overall project coordination of the project cycles of the youth studies
- Methodological and content-related further development taking into account the latest findings of empirical social research
- Cost estimation, budgeting, award procedures and contract management
- Advice on content and coordination of public relations work and marketing of the youth studies
- Content planning, implementation and evaluation as well as follow-up of events (also online) and consulting programmes
- Writing short analyses and papers for policy advocacy
- Maintaining contacts and networks in the think tank community and political institutions
- Reporting on project work and political developments in the regions concerned
- Knowledge management and communication within the FES
- Preparation of scientific and political content for targeted communication
- Maintaining the overall web presence of the "International Youth Studies" of the FES
- Acquisition of third-party funds
Background and qualifications
- University degree in social sciences and/or economics (M.A./Diplom)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Sound knowledge and experience in methods of empirical social research
- A lot of experience in project and event management/design
- Distinct expertise in the core areas of work: democracy, the rule of law, protection of fundamental rights
- Strong ability to work one's way into new topics
- Good knowledge and experience in policy advocacy
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent teamwork and negotiation skills
- experience in public relations and communication
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, good or developable knowledge of German, another language desirable
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Good knowledge of data analysis software (SPSS, Stata, R or similar)
- Relevant professional experience of at least two years
- Willingness to travel on business
- Work permit in Austria
- An exciting and challenging task in an international environment
- A dynamic new team
- Attractive payment according to Austrian law: EUR 3,200 gross for 38.5 hours / week, plus a lump sum of EUR 300 for overtime, 14 monthly salaries
- Very diverse professional development opportunities
Please send your application documents exclusively by email by 5 December 2021 to Ms Julia Zöllner, democracy.vienna(at)fes.de with the subject line "Youth Studies and Democracy". The application documents must include: a letter of motivation (max. 1 page), a CV (max. 2 pages, no photo), at least two letters of reference/work references.
If you have any questions about the application, please call us at +43 (0) 1 890 3811 205.
Job advertisement: European Youth Studies and Democracy
Stellenausschreibung: Europäische Jugendstudien und Demokratie